Sunday, March 7, 2010

Cake Baking: Attempt #1

In my attempt to become holly home maker, I have now taken on the task of making beautiful and scrumptious cakes. For a number of reasons I wont be able to take a cake decorating course until April, but that doesnt stop me from trying to make tasty ones now!!

Attempt #1 is an attempt at a simple chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream. Recipes courtesy of Chatelaine and Canadian Living - figured I couldnt go wrong with those magazines.

The cake was pretty darn easy to make - just a few dry ingredients and some wet. Though I did have to buy some buttermilk to make it with. The batter ended up being somewhat dry and I was a little worried. But in the oven it went. The end result wasnt too bad - or at least it didnt look too bad in the baking pan.
Then I started the icing. This required a cup of butter plus 5 cups of icing sugar and 1/2 cup whipping cream. Topped off with some vanilla extract. Needless to say it was a messy messy process.


Of course, I had to ice the cake. This was after I ate quite a bit of the icing though...it was soooo good.


Rob tried it and agreed!


And here I am with my creation prior to icing..
The almost final result...
But I decided it needed some colour..
And finally - the look on the inside..
So How Was It?? We gave this cake a 4 out of 5. The cake was light and fluffy with a lovely concentrated chocolate flavour. The icing was super delish - so long as you like sweet. The only reason for this cake NOT receiving a 5 out of 5 was that we felt that although it was quite good, it was not quite (yet) drool worthy...but we did scrape our plates!

Did I mention that now we exercise like fiends?

No comments: