Sunday, October 10, 2010

Maternity Leave-Unemployment

Since Kiernan has been born I have been on, what I like to call, mat leave unemployment.  Though receiving Employment Insurance from the government, I also have no job to return to - thus the term.

This is the first time I have been unemployed since I graduated from University in 1998.  It was depressing then and it is depressing now.  Despite having worked consistently for the last decade (with a few years for a graduate degree) and developing skills which I *think* are quite marketable - I still have not managed to secure a position to go back to in December.

Oh, but I have been looking!  I counted - I have 82 websites which I peruse weekly for new postings.  82!!!!  I have come close to winning two competitions but in the end, they went with folks with other languages. Merd!  Every time I send out a resume, its a little bubble of hope that someone on the other end will find me worthy of a half hour conversation.

What I have learned throughout this process is to be much kinder in the future to those seeking employment. And, in the next lifetime, to be fluently bilingual before graduating high school.

1 comment:

Dammit Karen said...

I think I see your problem. You spelled "merde" wrong. Ha ha...ha...

But then again, I'm also on MLU...

K